The Sound of Music
I just finished watching the movie....I always wondered what would it be like to be one of those seven kids in the movie....I loved Liesl the eldest daughter of the Von Trap family...I remember being jealous of her when I was sixteen.....the rebel in the family who refuses to have a governess ( not that I ever had a governess...!)...She led her naughty team of siblings and systematically planned mischief against poor Julie Andrews...I used to yearn to be like her...The best part of the movie was the dance between Liesl and her boy friend, the telegram boy...in the glass house...I always wondered how he managed to twirl her and she with her legs outstretched gracefully never touched the glass wall!! I loved that grace! Then she would jump from bench to bench with the "I am sixteen" beat...and she would do it so fast! I first saw the movie when I was thirteen years old and I remember hiding my face when they would kiss after the dance....Speaking of kisses, I recall Arundhati Roy in her "God of Small things" describing the kiss between Captain Von Trap and Maria....it was quite amazing.....Each time I watch the movie I plan to settle in Sulzberg...Hyderabad does have a Sulzberg of its own. The other day Nupur and I went for a walk along MLA Colony in Banjara Hills...the road was fragrant of earth after the rain....It was a lazy Sunday and the rain had just stopped....The sky above Lotus Pond looked mauve....and while inhaling the fresh air, you felt like u had just inhaled all the good things in life...we climbed and ventured into the interiors of the rocky land....you could see those houses, rather palaces and the ones that faced Lotus Pond looked like the house of Christopher Plummer in the movie...We somehow manged to get lost and we actually trespassed private property, crossed a barbed wire from a height of six feet and entered Lotus Pond from the upside....I never knew I was capable of that....! But it was overwhelming .....The Sound of silence was exhilerating.....
" I'm on the top of the world looking down on creations" We were standing on top of a mini cliff...you could actually see the road winding like a horse shoe around KBR Park from the height and the cars looked really tiny....They looked like toy cars when your flight had just taken off ....God knows why I was counting the number of cars that passed....that too in Telegu...."Okatti , rendu, muru, nalu, aidu,....." I remember counting the number of wagons of the eternally slow "maal gaadi" when our school bus stopped at the level crossing in Dhakuria....
" Rain drops on roses, whiskers on kittens...
Bright Copper kettles and warm woollen mittens..
Brown paper packages tied up with strings..
These are a few of my favourite things..."

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home